The sun is our core source of energy. Without the sun, it would be impossible for us to survive! We need the sun for nourishment, warmth, health, to grow our crops, and the list can go on and on and on. (Name a few for me!) But right now, we’re just going to look at green plants and then I’ll talk about a broader spectrum of foods later in my blog.
Why are green foods, for example, wheatgrass, barley, oat, and rye so freaken important??? They are a PHENOMENAL source of nutrients, including trace minerals, which are hard to maintain through a normal diet. As the roots of the cereal grasses dig into the ground, they reap for nutrition deep within the soil, which suits the grasses definition: they’re considered to be near the base of the global food chain.
Grass (as well as all plants!) turns green by utilizing the sun to create nutrients through photosynthesis. They use chlorophyll and they process of photosynthesis, plants take the light from the sun and convert it to energy. Now, when you think about it, we don’t just live off of carbohydrates, fats, calories, proteins, etc. We live off the sun. The sun provides foods for animals and humans. Animals need to eat grass to live and then we ingest the animals that eat the grass, therefore the power of the sun is limitless! Without the sunlight, the plants that we depend on for life would never reach their nutritional potential.
Ever heard of wheatgrass? Well, have you seen small booths stationed at the store selling small samples of this green goo (for like $3) and you watch people down the shot, and walk away with disgust? Yep, that’s it. It’s that weird smelling, awful tasting green goo that everyone rants and raves about that has many beneficial properties. Within an hour, ask those individuals how they feel. You’ll notice that most of them will state that they feel “Better”. Wheatgrass has many benefits ranging from increasing your general well-being to detoxification to even cancer treating. Yes, I said cancer treating. *Gasp* Why isn’t it used in the U.S today to treat cancer? First, the U.S. government is IGNORANT and forced a law that abolishes vitamin therapy in hospitals COMPLETELY (it’s illegal), next, they would rather make money by pushing chemo therapy and prescription pills. This is because those are the ONLY treatments offered in the U.S. and they know that we will pay to get the treatment DONE.
I’m all heated from that subject so lets stay on track here! Below, I’ve listed the TOP 10 GREEN FOOD MUST HAVES to keep in your fridge! Put them in shakes, add them to sandwiches or salads, spice your foods up! Most people don’t really know the benefits of green foods until you try them. So I encourage you to ingest these powerful foods! But steer clear of those green frogs, you don’t want to ingest those cute guys.
- Wheatgrass is loaded with proteins, minerals, vitamins, antioxidant enzymes and chlorophyll.
- Parsley, whether eaten or juiced, is a great source of chlorophyll and a great breath mint. So pucker up and get ready to smooch.
- Cilantro aids to support the body’s release of bad toxins
- Green Cabbage has very powerful sulfur contents to support the body in detoxification. Also shown to reduce your risk of breast cancer.
- Broccoli is rich in fiber, protein, chlorophyll, vitamins and minerals, detoxifies, need I say more?
- Asparagus is great in fiber and supports kidney function (hence why your pee may smell, sorry TMI).
- Kale is rich in MANY nutrients, rich in Vitamin C and trace minerals.
- Deep green lettuce is rich in fiber and provides a great source of vitamins and minerals.
- Spinach contains some of the highest amounts of antioxidants than any other green veggie. Also rich in proteins, just like Popeye stated, EAT YOUR SPINACH!
- Celery is a great source of electrolytes and base for fresh green juice. So if your sick, pop some of these in a smoothie. Worked for my husband when he was yaking!
Ready to load up that fridge? I expect to see more greens in your meals now!!!